Walt Disney World Orlando is huge – it’s monolithic – it’s got more “stuff” than any of could see in a month of Sundays. Above all, from the outside looking in, we found that understanding all of the information about what Walt Disney World Orlando has to offer the visitor to be a significant task.
We want to make your trip to Orlando a little easier, and your Disney planning a lot simpler (our perspective – of course), this page begins the process of simplifying Walt Disney World Orlando out for you.
Starting October 1, 2021, it’s Disney World 50th anniversary celebration. Come see what it’s all about.
Also, please note that visitors can no longer just show up to acquire tickets to get in, all since the Covid issue. You’ll need a paid ticket and vaccine proof displayed up front. Please check with the park before you go to determine the new requirements for entry. Thanks.
Where is Walt Disney World Orlando
No, Disney World is not in Orlando, but it’s close.
If you continue driving West on Interstate 4 from right downtown Orlando, you will travel about 20 miles to get to the Disney complex.
Of course, if you are staying at some of the Disney world resorts, they offer complimentary shuttles from the Orlando airport to that resort. If you’ve booked a Disney resort for your stay in Orlando, you may want to check that out.
Why are there so many exits to Disney World?
As you drive along Interstate 4 near Orlando, you are going to see Disney signs all over the place.
Really though, from exit 535 (South Apopka Vineland Road) on the east to exit 530 (W. Irlo Bronson Highway #192), a distance of 5 miles, there are only 4 exits to the Walt Disney World Orlando complex. The two in the middle, coming from the East are Epcot Center Drive (exit 536) and the West Osceola Parkway.
When you are exiting the Interstate 4 at any of these exits you want to turn West or North on the exit to get into the Disney complex.
How big is the Disney Complex in Orlando?
We do not have official figures, but looking at a map and scaling the grounds, we put the Disney complex somewhere in the range of 25-35 square miles. It is huge! Within that area are all of the theme parks, all of the water features, all of the resorts and Downtown Disney as well.
Disney Orlando has…
Disney’s Orlando operations has…
- 4 theme parks
- 2 water parks
- downtown Disney
- world class to almost-budget resorts
- ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
Walt Disney World Orlando Theme Parks
The Disney theme parks that Orlando visitors can take in are:
- The Magic Kingdom
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom
As the Disney information pages are built out, there will be a page about each of the Walt Disney World Orlando theme parks, including which exit to take to get to the parking for that theme park.
Disney World Lodgings
On the grounds of the various parks at Walt Disney World Orlando are the following resorts:
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village
- Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Disney’s Beach Club Resort
- Disney’s Beach Club Villas
- Disney’s BoardWalk Inn
- Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
- Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Disney’s Old Key West Resort
- Disney’s Polynesian Resort
- Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
- Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
- The Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort
- Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
- Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
- Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
- Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
- Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort
- Disney’s All-Star Music Resort
- Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort
- Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
- Disney’s Pop Century Resort
- The Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort
Downtown Disney offers a different perspective on Disney’s holdings. Are you ready for a themed outdoor shopping mall, complete with lakes, ferry boats, rides etc? More info on Downtown Disney is right here.